The potential of hydrogen ions (pH) is the measure of acidity or alkalinity of an aqueous solution. PH levels range from 0-14, where 0-6 is acidic, 7 is neutral, and 8-14 is alkaline.
A diet is either acidic, neutral, or alkaline. After ingestion, the metabolic by-products are either acid-forming or alkaline-forming. Some fruits and vegetables are alkaline-forming, while meat and dairy products are acid-forming diets.
The Concept of Alkaline Diet
The concept of an alkaline diet is based on the assumption that alkaline-forming foods have many health benefits. According to the acid ash hypothesis, an acid-forming diet provides a conducive environment for the disease to thrive while an alkaline-forming diet protects you from diseases.
Foods to Include in an Alkaline Diet
- Green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kales, celery, and parsley.
- Fruits such as citrus fruits, kiwi, banana, avocados, pineapples, watermelon, and apples.
- Some alkaline-forming spices such as cinnamon, ginger, mustard chili pepper garlic, and onions.
- Root vegetables such as beets, carrots, sweet potatoes, lotus roots, potatoes, and yams.
- Nuts such as cashew nuts, almonds, peanuts, pine nuts, flaxseeds, and sesame seeds.
Foods to Avoid When Following an Alkaline Diet
- Acid forming fruits such as cranberries, blueberries, canned fruits, plums, and glazed fruits.
- Acidifying vegetables such as winter squash, olives, and corns.
- Acidifying legumes such as beans, soy milk, chickpeas, and kidney beans.
- Dairy products such as cheese, milk, butter, and ice milk.
- Caffeinated drinks and liquor.
- Processed and refined foods such as sausages, bacon, ham, and savory snacks.
- Gluten foods such as cakes, pies, beer, and ale.
- Most grains.
How an Alkaline Diet Supports the Immune System
1. Promotes Proper Functioning of the Immune System
pH level is the key to the proper functioning of the immune system. Consuming high portions of acid-forming foods leads to an acid build-up in the body.
This deprives the body of cells enough oxygen leading to fermentation of the cells. An alkaline diet helps to prevent this from happening.
2. Restores the Immune System
Acquired immune deficiency disease destroys and weakens the white blood cells. Therefore, increasing alkaline food in your diet helps to restore the immune system.
3. Strengthens the Immune System
Alkaline foods are a significant source of vitamins. Lack of vitamins reduces the production and release of antibodies, reducing antibodies’ levels in the blood. Alkaline food such as cruciferous vegetables, greens, mushrooms, and onions boosts the immune system.
4. Managing Autoimmune Disorders
Examples of autoimmune disorders that affect a lot of people include arthritis, type 1 diabetes, and Barres Syndrome.
To treat or manage autoimmune diseases, incorporate an alkaline diet in your diet; it will help to improve your immune system, thus managing the disorder.
Alkaline food is essential as it helps in controlling stomach acidity and related harmful conditions. However, implementing an alkaline diet doesn’t mean we abandon acid-forming foods. The acid in the diet is essential for other bodybuilding block elements, such as DNA fatty acids and amino acids.